Monday, June 28, 2010

The Hull







For those who are wondering if I'm building the kayak in the lounge - yes, I am because the missus is in Namibia for a couple of weeks. It is not due to a lack of space but it is so much more convenient!

In defence I qoute from the One Ocean Kayak Web Site:


"Wood strip kayaks are being built right now by amateur builders in garages, sheds, lofts, basements, hallways, attics and of course in livingrooms and bedrooms! Few people even asked me how to build their kayak in TWO sections so that it would fit in their space. It seems like the ingenuity and persistence of the wood strip builder just knows no limits. Looking at the fruits of their labor, it is easy to understand why; The muse of creativity will not be silenced."


Even though the Swift is almost 1,5m longer than the Evolution, it will take me about 30% of the time to do the stripping mainly due to experience and better tools. The workmanship has also improved somewhat.


1. Lining up the frames

Due to the length (5,5m) of the Swift, I wanted to take extra care in lining up the frames.

Two 4mm holes were drilled through the frames (clamped together) and by peering through these holes to a piece of red cardboard at the far end of the strongback, the frames were reasonably well lined up. (I wish I had one of those lazer pointers to assist with this.)

2. Deadline


I want to complete the strips by Saturday (it is now Tuesday). The Swift must be moved outside and I need to resume the epoxy on the Evolution. Some serious consultation with Bruce ( Stealth Performance Products ) will be required to discuss the methology of making a stripped cockpit.



3 Off the topic



I made this decorative "popper" lure for Mick Clarke for the pub at his guesthouse.
http://www.umkomaasguesthouse.com/



The idea was based on the popper below that Bennie Jordaan (a deep sea fisherman of note) had made for me. I regard Bennie as a master in the art and technique of lure making. Not only is his craftsmanship impeccable but his attention to detail, swimming action, etc. of the lures is amazing.



A recently completed lure as posted by Bennie on the Sealine Forum:



He also has an online fishing tackle shop: http://www.demontackle.co.za/

3 Next Project:




Just joking!!

This is a 72 foot schooner being built in Vietnam. The "strips" are in two layers with a total thickness of 58mm.

No comments:

Post a Comment